Subansiri Hydroelectric Project (LSHP):
Subansiri Lower Hydroelectric Project (SLHEP), is an under-construction gravity dam on the Subansiri river along the border of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Subansiri River (gold river), originates in the Tibet Plateau and enters India through Miri hills in Arunachal Pradesh.
- It is the largest tributary of Brahmaputra River.
- The project is being developed by the state-run National Hydro Power Corporation (NHPC).
- It will be the single largest hydroelectric plant in India when completed. The project is expected to be completed in 2023.
- Resistance to the ongoing hydroelectric project was shown in the form of a far-reaching anti-dam movement.
- It is alleged that the dam is located in a seismic zone and it is significantly under-designed to resist earthquakes.
- The fluctuation of water level in the river is also feared to affect the ecology in the lower Subansiri region in future.