Sustainable Aviation Fuel:
India successfully flew its first commercial passenger flight using an indigenously produced Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) blend.
- Sustainable Aviation Fuel is a type of aviation fuel that is produced from renewable sources, unlike traditional fossil-based jet fuels.
- It is considered sustainable because it has a significantly lower carbon footprint and reduces greenhouse gas emissions compared to conventional jet fuel.
- It can be derived from various feedstocks, such as plant oils, agricultural waste, forestry residues, and municipal solid waste.
- SAF can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by up to 80% compared to conventional jet fuel.
- Also, it is designed to be a drop-in replacement for conventional jet fuel, meaning it can be used in existing aircraft engines without requiring modifications.