Swadesh Darshan Scheme 2.0:
Ministry of Tourism (MOT) revamps Swadesh Darshan Scheme
Key features of the revamped scheme:
- Develop sustainable and responsible tourism
- Development of benchmark and standards
- Promote domestic tourism mainly in tier-II and tier-III cities
- State government will designate implementing agencies for the projects (earlier ministry of tourism used to do that)
100% centrally funded
About Swadesh Darshan Scheme
- Tourism Ministry launched the Swadesh Darshan Scheme in 2014 to develop theme-based tourist circuits in the country using 100% central funds and CSR funding.
- Funding of individual projects will vary from state to state and will be finalised on the basis of detailed project reports prepared by PMC (Programme Management Consultant).
- India’s Tourism is ranked in 10th position (World Travel and Tourism Council’s report in 2019 in terms of contribution to GDP). It contributed 6.8% to India’s GDP and 8% of the total employment created.
- India has 40 sites listed under World Heritage List (32 cultural, 7 natural and 1 mixed site)
- India recently came up with Draft National Tourism Policyfocusing on Green, and digital tourism. Its main points were-
- Industry status of the tourism sector focus on green, digital, destination management, skilling and tourism-related support to MSMEs