Tamil Nadu’s First Tiger Rewilding Program:
A committee assessed the progress of Tamil Nadu’s first tiger rewilding program in the Anamalai Tiger Reserve.
- The tiger is cared for by dedicated Forest Department staff who minimize contact and monitor the animal through cameras.
- Anamalai Tiger Reserve is carved out of the Tamil Nadu portion of the Anamalais and lies South of the Palakkad gap in the Western Ghats
- Surrounded by various wildlife reserves and forests such as Parambikulum Tiger Reserve on the East, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary and Eravikulum National Park on the South Western side
- Ranges within the reserve include Amaravathi, Udumalpet, Pollachi, Ulandy, Valparai, and Manamboli
- Flora Encompasses a variety of ecosystems, including wet evergreen forest, semi-evergreen forest, montane shola-grassland, moist deciduous, dry deciduous, thorn forests, and marshes.
- Notable mammal species include the Asiatic elephant, Sambar, spotted deer, Barking deer, Mouse deer, Gaur, Nilgiri tahr, and Tigers.