Tampara Lake : Direction From National Green Tribunal
The National Green Tribunal, Eastern Zone, has directed the Odisha government not to go ahead with ‘illegal’ construction in and around Tampara Lake
- Tampara Lake is one of the largest fresh water lakes in the State of Odisha.
- The beautiful lake & the nearby Chilika Lagoon highlight the ecological diversity Odisha is blessed with.
- It supports at least 60 species of birds, 46 species of fishes, at least 48 species of phytoplanktons, and more than seven species of terrestrial plants and macrophytes.
- It is an important habitat for vulnerable species such as Cyprinus carpio, common pochard (Aythya ferina), and river tern (Sterna aurantia).
- It is already placed in the Wetland Atlas prepared by Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change in 2010.
National Green Tribunal:
- It has been established under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010.
- New Delhi is the Principal Place of Sitting of the Tribunal and Bhopal, Pune, Kolkata and Chennai shall be the other four places of sitting of the Tribunal.
- NGT is mandated to make disposal of applications or appeals finally within 6 months of the filing of the same.