Taurine : A Nutrient Found In Meat And Fish
Study has shown that Taurine – a nutrient found in meat, and fish and sold as a supplement – extends life and boosts health in a range of animal species.
- Experiments on middle-aged animals showed boosting taurine to youthful levels extended life by over 10% and improved physical and brain health.
- Taurine is an amino acid that has a few important roles in your body, including supporting immune health and nervous system function.
- The scientific report suggests taurine plays a role in reducing cellular senescence – where cells in the body stop dividing – a hallmark of ageing.
- The nutrient also appeared to keep mitochondria – the power stations in the body’s cells – functioning.
- Taurine is virtually non-existent in plants. So the nutrient either comes from the animal protein in the diet or is manufactured by the body.