‘The India Story’ Booklet:
The Minister of State for New & Renewable Energy launched ‘The India Story’ booklet, a compilation of Indian initiatives that are shaping India’s energy transition.
- The booklet was launched at the event on Accelerating Citizen Centric Energy Transition organized by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE).
- It was organized in collaboration with the Permanent Mission of India (PMI) to the United Nations and the Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW).
- The Minister also launched a website which will act as a repository of energy transition related knowledge resources from around the world.
- In the last 6 years, India’s installed Renewable Energy (RE) capacity has increased by over two and a half times and stands at more than 141 Giga Watts (including large Hydro).
- It is about 37% of the country’s total capacity.
- The installed solar energy capacity has increased by over 15 times, and stands at 41.09 GW.
- India’s RE capacity is the 4th largest in the world. Its annual RE addition has been exceeding that of coal based thermal power since 2017.