Top Sugar Producing States:
After a five-year gap, Maharashtra has overtaken Uttar Pradesh to regain its position as India’s top sugar producer.
- The state’s output for the 2021-22 crushing year (October-September) is expected at 138 lakh tonnes (lt).
- That is an all-time-high, beating the previous 107.21 lt of 2018-19.
- This record production is attributed to three factors.
- The first is the bountiful rainfall since the 2019 southwest monsoon.
- The second is higher yields from farmers taking extra care of their crop.
- The third factor is a huge jump in “unregistered” cane cultivation.
- The large “unregistered” area has meant that there is un-harvested cane still in the fields and mills will continue to crush till the first week of June.