Unying Festival : Arunachal Pradesh
The Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways and Ayush attended the colourful Siang Unying Festival in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Unying Festival of Unying is celebrated to herald the season of cultivation, the beginning of the Adi community’s New Year, arrival of spring seasons as well as a great way to strengthen the bond among the community.
- Adi community are believed to have come from southern china in the 16th century.
- The Adi constitute a major group and inhabit the lower part of the Lower Dibang Valley district, especially the Roing and Dambuk areas of Arunachal Pradesh.
- They are experts in making cane and bamboo items.
- The Adis are basically dependent on agriculture. Both wet rice cultivation and shifting cultivation are practised.
- Solung (a harvesting festival where animal sacrifices and rituals are performed) and Aran ( a hunting festival where all the male members of the family go hunting) are two major festivals of the Adi tribes.