Urban Flood Mitigation Project:
PM approves the first urban flood mitigation project for the ‘Integrated Urban Flood Management Activities for Chennai Basin Project (IUFM)‘
- This initiative, under the National Disaster Mitigation Fund (NDMF), includes Central assistance of Rs. 500 crore and aims to make Chennai flood-resilient.
- Chennai, once again, finds itself grappling with the devastating effects of floods, marking the third such calamity to besiege the metropolis in less than a decade.
- The city’s struggle with extreme weather events has brought to light the increasing vulnerability of India’s urban landscape to sudden and severe flooding due to excessive rainfall.
- IUFM is a holistic approach that stresses the interrelationship between socioeconomic development, environmental sustainability, and flood-risk management.
- The ‘Integrated Urban Flood Management activities for Chennai Basin Project’ represents a proactive measure to address the challenges posed by urban flooding.
- It is designed to enhance Chennai’s resilience to such natural disasters by implementing comprehensive flood management strategies.