Uttarkashi Tunnel Collapse:
Union Territories (UTs) and cities in Northeastern states find themselves in the lower ranks of the Smart Cities Mission progress.
- According to data from the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry as of November 3, approximately 22% of total projects (1,745 out of 7,947) are still ongoing.
- These ongoing projects account for 33% of the total cost (Rs 57,028 crore out of Rs 1.70 lakh crore).
- The majority of projects, numbering 6,202, have been successfully completed.
- Data from November 10 highlights Surat (Gujarat) as the top-performing city in terms of project completion, fund utilization, and other criteria within the Smart Cities Mission.
- It is followed by Agra (UP), Ahmedabad (Gujarat), Varanasi (UP), and Bhopal (MP) in the top five.
- Other cities in the top 10 include Tumakuru (Karnataka), Udaipur (Rajasthan), Madurai (TN), Kota (Rajasthan), and Shivamogga (Karnataka).