Weapon System Branch For Officers In The Indian Air Force (IAF):
The government has approved the creation of a Weapon System branch for officers in the Indian Air Force (IAF) which will bring all weapon systems operators of the force under one roof.
- This is the first time since Independence that a new operational branch is being created.
- The IAF also unveiled a new digital camouflage uniform for its rank and file.
- Creation of the new branch would entail unification of all weapon system operators under one entity dedicated to the operational employment of all ground-based and specialist airborne weapon systems.
- This will essentially be for manning of four specialised streams of Surface to Surface missiles, Surface to Air Missiles, Remotely Piloted Aircraft and weapon system operators in twin and multi crew aircraft.
- Creation of this branch would result in savings of over ₹3,400 crore due to reduced expenditure on flying training.