What Is Khalistan Movement?
Khalistan flags were found tied on the main entrance gates and walls of Himachal Pradesh legislative assembly recently.
- Slogans were also written on the walls of the assembly complex.
- The flags have now been removed by the administration.
- It is the fight for a separate Sikh state and owes its origins to the Punjabi Suba Movement.
- The Akali Dal – a Sikh-dominated political party – sought to create a separate Sikh Suba or Province.
- When the States Reorganization Commission, constituted to assess the demand for separate states by linguistic groups, made its recommendations, it rejected the Akali Dal’s demand.
- The state was trifurcated into Punjabi-majority Punjab, Hindi-majority Haryana and the Union Territory of Chandigarh. Some hilly regions of the state were merged into Himachal Pradesh.