Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh visited the Karwar Naval Base in Karnataka on June 24, 2021 to review the progress of ongoing infrastructure development under ‘Project Seabird’.
- RM says it will be Asia’s largest Naval Base and further strengthen the operational readiness of the Armed Forces.
- INS Kadamba is an Indian Navy base located near Karwar in Karnataka.
- The first phase of construction of the base, code-named Project Seabird, was completed in 2005 and the base was commissioned on 31 May 2005.
- Development of Phase II commenced in 2011.
- INS Kadamba is currently the third largest Indian naval base, and is expected to become the largest naval base in the eastern hemisphere after completion of expansion Phase IIB.