White Flag Campaign:
In Malaysia, some residents of low-income families have started waving white flags as part of the so-called “White Flag Campaign”, or the #benderaputi (white flag) movement.
- They are doing this to convey distress about the financial crunch they have had to deal with amid the lockdowns due to Covid-19. Malaysia enforced another lockdown on June 1 in order to control another surge of Covid infections.
- As part of the movement that was initiated last week, families that are facing hunger or need any other kind of assistance are encouraged to wave a white flag or put a piece of white cloth outside their homes to signal that they need help.
- The idea is that by spotting the white flag, neighbours and good samaritans can reach them.
Black flag movement:
- Alongside the white flag movement, there is the black flag movement as well, in order to express dissatisfaction with the Malaysian government.
- Specifically, this movement is demanding that Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin resign.