World’s Fastest Ground Vehicle:
China has unveiled a high-speed maglev train with a designed top speed of 600 kms per hour. It is stated to be the world’s fastest ground vehicle.
- The new maglev transportation system made its public debut in the coastal city of Qingdao, China’s east Shandong province.
- Launched in October 2016, the high-speed maglev train project saw the development of a magnetic-levitation train prototype with a designed top speed of 600 kms per hour in 2019, and conducted a successful test run in June 2020.
- The train fills the speed gap between aviation and high-speed trains.
- Compared with traditional vehicles running on wheels, high-speed maglev trains do not have contact with rail tracks.
- They have advantages in terms of efficiency and speed and produce very little noise.