199145 (2005 YY128) : Giant Asteroid
Experts at NASA are tracking a giant asteroid named 199145 (2005 YY128) which is just days away from entering Earth’s orbit.
- 199145 (2005 YY128) is an asteroid whose orbit crosses the orbit of Earth.
- It orbits the sun every 774 days (2.12 years) in an elliptical orbit.
- 2005 YY128 is probably between 566 to 1.265 kilometers in diameter.
- Its orbit is 0.03 astronomical unit from Earth’s orbit at its closest point.
- Asteroids are small, rocky objects that orbit the sun.
- Although asteroids orbit the sun like planets, they are much smaller than planets.
- Most of them live in the main asteroid belt—a region between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.