Advanced Chaff Technology: DRDO:
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed an Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard the naval ships against enemy missile attack.
- It is another step towards Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- Chaff is an electronic countermeasure technology used by militaries worldwide to protect naval ships or other sensitive targets from radar and radio frequency (RF) guiding mechanisms of the enemy missile.
- The chaff rockets deployed in the air reflect as multiple targets for the missile guidance systems and deflecting adversary missiles, thus protecting their own assets.
- DRDO has indigenously developed three variants of the critical technology namely Short Range Chaff Rocket (SRCR), Medium-Range Chaff Rocket (MRCR) and Long Range Chaff Rocket (LRCR).
Difference between Chaff and Flares:
- Both chaff and flares are defensive countermeasures deployed by military aircraft. The purpose is to confuse radar-guided or infrared-guided anti-aircraft missiles fired so that they could be diverted.
- Chaff is composed of much small aluminium or zinc coated fibres stored on board the aircraft in tubes. In case the aircraft feels threatened by any radar tracking missiles, chaff is ejected into the turbulent wake of air behind the plane.
- Flares on being fired provide an alternate strong IR (Infrared) source to heat-seeking anti-air missiles so that they are lured away from the aircraft.
Defence Research and Development Organisation:
- DRDO works under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence.
- It is working to establish a world-class science and technology base for India and provides Defence Services decisive edge by equipping them with internationally competitive systems and solutions.
- It was established in 1958 after combining the Technical Development Establishment (TDEs) of the Indian Army and the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP) with the Defence Science Organisation (DSO).
- It is responsible for carrying out Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).