All India Elephant And Tiger Population Estimation Exercise:
All India Elephant and Tiger population estimation exercise to be done in convergence for the first time in 2022.
- Minister for Environment released the population estimation protocol to be adopted in the exercise to be taken up for the All India elephant and tiger population estimation in 2022.
- The protocol was released on the occasion of World Elephant Day.
- The programme also witnessed release of the fourth edition of the quarterly newsletter “Trumpet” of the Elephant Division of the Ministry.
- Asian elephants are listed as “Endangered” on the IUCN Red List of threatened species.
- Indian Elephant has also been listed in the Appendix I of the Convention of the Migratory species in the recently concluded Conference of Parties of CMS 13 at Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat in February 2020.