All India Survey On Higher Education (AISHE) 2020-2021:
Ministry of Education recently released All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2020-2021
- All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) is conducted by the Ministry of Education since 2011.
- It covers all higher educational institutions located in Indian Territory and imparting higher education in the country.
- To identify and capture all the institutions of higher learning in the country.
- Collect the data from all the higher education institutions on various aspects of higher education.
- The survey collects detailed information on different parameters such as student enrollment, teacher’s data, infrastructural information, financial information etc.
Highlights of AISHE 2020-2021:
- For the first time, in AISHE 2020-21, higher educational institutions have filled data using entirely online data collection platform through the Web Data Capture Format (DCF) developed by Department of Higher Education through the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- The total number of Universities / University like institutions registered is 1,113, Colleges 43,796 and Standalone Institutions 11,296.
- Number of Universities has increased by 70, number of Colleges has increased by 1,453, in 2020-21 over 2019-20.
- Enrollment in higher education increases to 4.14 crore, crossing the 4 crore mark for first time; increase of 7.5% from 2019-20 and 21% from 2014-15.
- Female enrollment reaches 2 crore mark, increase of 13 Lakh from 2019-20.
- Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) has improved from previous year for all social groups.
- Enrollment in Distance Education has increased by 7% in 2020-21 from 2019-20.
- Gender Parity Index (GPI) has increased from 1 in 2017-18 to 1.05 in 2020-21
- Total number of faculty/teachers increases by 47,914 from 2019-20