New Spider Species : Discovered
Two new spider species, the Palpimanus Godawan and Palpimanus Maldhok, have been found in the conservation sites of the Rajasthan Desert National Park and Solapur.
- These two species (Godawan and Maldhok) are named in honour of the local name of the Great Indian Bustard.
- The spiders are particularly shy, hiding under rocks or in crevices when disturbed.
- They are maroon in colour, a unique feature they share with the other two known species in their genus, Palpimanidae.
- They are ground species and have heavier bodies; their ability to disperse as spiders do by ballooning, shooting their web, and traipsing from one place to another is limited.
- They stay confined to an area.