Bharat Drone Mahotsav 2022:
India’s biggest Drone Festival – Bharat Drone Mahotsav 2022 was inaugurated in New Delhi by the Prime Minister.
- A virtual award of drone pilot certificates, panel discussions, product launches, display of a ‘Made in India’ Drone Taxi prototype, flying demonstrations, among others were the key events.
- Drone is a layman terminology for Unmanned Aircraft (UA).
- Originally developed for the military and aerospace industries, drones have found their way into the mainstream because of the enhanced levels of safety and efficiency they bring.
- A drone’s autonomy level can range from remotely piloted (a human controls its movements) to advanced autonomy, which means that it relies on a system of sensors and LIDAR detectors to calculate its movement.
Applications of Drone Technology:
- Agriculture: In the agriculture sector, micronutrients can be spread with the help of drones.
It can also be used for performing surveys for identifying the challenges faced by the farmers.
- Defence: Drone system can be used as a symmetric weapon against terrorist attacks.
Drones can be integrated into the national airspace system.
Deployment of drones for combat, communication in remote areas, counter-drone solutions can be done.
- Healthcare Delivery Purposes: Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) devised Drone-Based Vaccine Delivery Model, i-drone. Telangana and North-east states have been approved to use this drone technology for delivering vaccines in remote areas.
- Monitoring: The drone technology in the SVAMITVA scheme launched by the Government of India, within less than a year, has helped about half a million village residents to get their property cards by mapping out the densely-populated areas.
Drones can be used for real-time surveillance of assets and transmission lines, theft prevention, visual inspection/maintenance, construction planning and management, etc .They can be used for anti-poaching actions, monitoring of forests and wildlife, pollution assessment, and evidence gathering.
- Law Enforcement: Drones are also significant for the law enforcement agencies, the fire and emergency services wherever human intervention is not safe and the healthcare services.