Bihar Lokayukta (Amendment) Bill, 2021:
The Bihar Assembly passed the Bihar Lokayukta (Amendment) Bill, 2021 that proposes to punish people filing false cases before the anti-corruption ombudsman body to prevent any waste of time or misuse of the institution.
- Lokayukta carries out expeditious investigation and prosecution relating to allegations involving corruption against public servants of all grades.
- The proposed legislation has been brought keeping in view the misuse of the Lokayukta institution in false cases.
- It was proposed by the Lokayukta itself that there should be a provision for punishing people filing false cases before it. The Lokayukta acts of other States have the provision of punitive action against such erring persons.
- The Bill proposes that a case against a person filing a false case can be filed in the district court.
- If the person is found guilty of it or for giving false testimony or filed wrong affidavit, he/she will be sentenced to a jail term of upto three years besides a provision for fine.