Birth Anniversary Of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel:
On National Unity Day 2022, the Union Home Minister of India remembered Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his 147th birth anniversary saying that the latter realised the dream of a strong and united India with his farsightedness.
- National Unity Day is celebrated every year on 31st October to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- It is also known as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas.
- The reason behind the celebration of this day is to make people aware of the ideas of staying together and uplifting society.
- It was celebrated for the first time in 2014.
- Several events are organised on this day like ‘Run For Unity’ – a nationwide marathon to increase awareness about the contribution of Sardar Patel to national integrity, National Unity pledge, etc.
- In 2018, the Government of India unveiled the ‘Statue of Unity’ in Gujarat to mark the 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Patel.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel:
- He was born on 31st October 1875 in Nadiad, Gujarat.
- Sardar Patel was the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of India.
- He is recognized as the real unifier of India for his colossal contribution to integrate and make India a united (Ek Bharat) and an independent nation.
- He requested the people of India to live together by uniting in order to create Shresth Bharat (Foremost India).
- This ideology is still reflected in the Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative which seeks to make India Self-Reliant.
- He is also remembered as the ‘Patron saint of India’s civil servants’ as he established the modern all-India services system.