Cultivation Of Dragon Fruit:
Under the Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH), a roadmap is being prepared for the cultivation of dragon fruit in the identified potential area to increase the production of exotic and niche area fruits.
- The target for area expansion under MIDH for Kamalam is 50,000 ha. in 5 years.
- Dragon Fruit is a herbaceous perennial climbing cactus widely known as Pitaya, has its origin in Southern Mexico, Central America and South America.
- Its flowers are hermaphrodites (male and female organs in the same flower) in nature and open at night.
- It grows in all kinds of soil and does not require much water.
- The plant sustains yield for more than 20 years, is high in nutraceutical properties(medicinal effects) and good for value-added processing industries.
- It goes by many names, including pitaya, pitahaya, and strawberry pear.