Death By Hunger:
The Union government informed the Supreme Court (SC) that no starvation death (Death by Hunger) has been reported by any state or Union territory (UT) in recent years.
- The court is hearing a petition that highlights how starvation deaths continue to eat into the right to life and dignity of social fabric and a “radical” new measure like community kitchens need to be set up across the country to feed the poor and the hungry.
- The petition also referred to Rajasthan’s Annapurna Rasoi, Indira Canteens in Karnataka, Delhi’s Aam Aadmi Canteen, Anna Canteen of Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand Mukhyamantri Dal Bhat and Odisha’s Ahaar Centre.
- The SC asked the Centre to explore the possibility of a “model” community kitchen scheme by which it could support the States to ensure food security for the poor.
- It asked the Centre to make a model scheme and leave it to the States to follow the guidelines depending on their individual food habits.
- Called for the creation of a national food grid by the Centre which is beyond the scope of the Public Distribution Scheme.