Etalin Hydropower Project:
The Forest Advisory Committee (FAC) has recently asked the Arunachal Pradesh Government to review the Etalin hydropower project.
- The FAC has recently asked the Arunachal Pradesh government to file a fresh proposal for forest diversion and the construction of the Etalin hydroelectric project (EHEP) due to non-compliance to conditions stipulated by the FAC and the overwhelming pushback against the project in the region.
Etalin Hydroelectric Project (EHEP):
- It is a 3,097 MW hydropower project planned in the Dibang Valley of Arunachal Pradesh.
- It is one of the largest hydropower projects proposed in the country in terms of installed capacity.
- EHEP is proposed to be developed as a combination of two run-of-the-river schemes.
- The project involves the construction of concrete gravity dams on the Tangon and Dri riverswhich are tributaries of Dibang river.
- The project area falls under the “richest bio-geographical province of the Himalayan zone” and “one of the mega biodiversity hotspots of the world”.
- The project area is dominated by indigenous population belonging to Idu-Mishmi tribes.
- Idu-Mishmi Tribe are the lone inhabitant tribe of Dibang Valley district, Arunachal Pradesh.