Green Railway Station Certification:
The Visakhapatnam railway station of East Coast Railway has been awarded the ‘Green Railway Station Certification with the highest rating of Platinum’ by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC).
- Green Railway Station Certification is a rating system developed by the Confederation of Indian Industry and Indian Green Building Council with the support of the Environment Directorate of Indian Railway
- It is a voluntary and consensus-based programme.
- This is the first of its kind holistic rating in India to address environmental sustainability in Indian railway stations.
- Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) is part of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) formed in the year 2001.
- The council offers a wide array of services which include developing new green building rating programmes, certification services and green building training programmes.
- The council also organises Green Building Congress, its annual flagship event on green buildings.
- The council is committee-based, member-driven and consensus-focused. All the stakeholders, corporate, Government, academia and nodal agencies participate in the council activities through local chapters.
- The council also closely works with several State Governments, Central Government, World Green Building Council, and bilateral multi-lateral agencies in promoting green building concepts in the country.