Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC):
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar has signed a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Secretary General of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) on the mechanism of consultations between India and the GCC.
- The External Affairs Minister is on a two-day visit to Saudi Arabia from 10-12 September.
- This is his first trip to the Kingdom as India’s External Affairs Minister.
- The Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf, also known as the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) is a regional, intergovernmental, political, and economic union comprising Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
- The council’s main headquarters is located in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- The Charter of the GCC was signed on 25 May 1981, formally establishing the institution.