Infrastructure For Resilient Island States (IRIS):
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Infrastructure for Resilient Island States (IRIS) on sidelines of climate summit in Glasgow.
- Infrastructure for Resilient Island States or IRIS is the first major initiative by the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI) started by India in 2019.
- IRIS seeks to operationalise the CDRI initiative.
- It is aimed at achieving sustainable development through a systematic approach to resilient, sustainable and inclusive infrastructure in Small Island Developing States (SIDS).
- Small island states are the most vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. As sea levels rise, they face a threat of being wiped off the map.
- According to CDRI, several small island states have lost 9 per cent of their GDPs in single disasters during the last few years.