Ukraine has caused significant losses to the Russian military in airstrikes on Zmiinyi Island, also known as Snake Island, in the Black Sea.
- The hit on the island is believed to be the second major military success using missiles given to Ukraine by the West.
- Zmiinyi Island, also known as Snake or Serpent Island, is a small piece of rock less than 700 metres from end to end, that has been described as being X-shaped.
- It is located 35 km from the coast in the Black Sea, to the east of the mouth of the Danube and roughly southwest of the port city of Odessa.
- The Danube is the second longest river in Europe after the Volga.
- It rises in the Black Forest mountains of western Germany and flows for some 2,850 km to its mouth on the Black Sea.
- The island is marked on the map by the tiny village of Bile that is located on it, belongs to Ukraine.