International Day Of Yoga 2023:
The 9th International Day of Yoga (IDY) was celebrated on June 21st with various events and initiatives taking place across the country. The Prime Minister will lead yoga at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, demonstrating a global commitment to yoga.
- The Ministry of Ayush encourages “Har Aangan Yoga” which means Yoga in the courtyard of every house, by enabling yoga observation at the village level.
- This year theme, “Yoga for Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam,” which highlights India’s socio-cultural heritage and promotes unity.
Highlights of IDY 2023:
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Ltd (TRIFED) collaborated with the Ministry of Ayush to supply yoga mats exclusively made by tribal artisans.
- These mats represent the diverse cultural heritage of India’s tribes, showcasing their stories, folklore, and artistic traditions.
- TRIFED will highlight products and communities such as Madur mats or Madhurkathi from Medinipur, Sabai Grass Yoga Mats from Mayurbhanj, and Gondha Grass mats from Jharkhand.
- Indian Navy and Merchant ships will organize yoga demonstrations at ports and vessels of friendly countries, fostering global participation.
- Coordination between the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and the Ministry of Ayush to organize yoga events in countries along the Prime Meridian line and UN member countries.
- Yoga sessions to be held at Himadri in the Arctic and Bharati in Antarctica, showcasing yoga’s reach to extreme regions.
- Indian armed forces, including Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Border Security Force (BSF), and Border Roads Organization (BRO), will form a chain of yoga demonstrations.
- Yoga Sagarmala will feature yoga along the Indian coastline along with yoga demonstrations on the flight deck of INS Vikrant.