Kalka-Shimla Railway Line:
Heavy rain and floods in Himachal Pradesh have battered the 94-km-long Kalka-Shimla railway line, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Kalka-Shimla Railway line was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site on July 8, 2008.
- It is located at an elevation of 2,152 ft above sea level in Haryana, to the capital of Himachal Pradesh, at 6,808 ft.
- The narrow gauge “toy train” passes through 18 stations, 102 tunnels, and over 988 bridges.
- It offers majestic views for most of the route. Passengers see breathtaking valleys, covered with pine, oak, and deodar trees.
- It stands for United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- It is specialized agency of the United Nations(UN).
- The constitution, which entered into force in 1946, called for the promotion of international collaboration in education, science, and culture.
- Headquarters: Paris, France.