Mission For The Welfare Of Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups:
Union Finance Minister recently announced a mission for the welfare of Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) in the 2023-24 Union Budget.
- Pradhan Mantri PVTG Development mission will be launched as part of ‘Reaching The Last Mile’, one of the seven Saptarishi priorities enlisted in this year’s Budget.
- The mission will saturate the particularly vulnerable tribal groups with safe housing, clean drinking water, education, nutrition, road and telecom connection and livelihood.
- A Budget of Rs 15,000 crore will be dedicated to this mission in the next three years.
- The scheme will benefit 3.5 lakh tribals.
Saptarishi priorities (seven priorities) enlisted in the 2023-24 budget:
- Inclusive Development
- Reaching the Last Mile
- Infrastructure and Investment
- Unleashing the Potential
- Green Growth
- Youth Power
- Financial Sector
PVTG (Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups):
- PVTGs are more vulnerable among the tribal groups who are in need of greater support and development.
- Out of the 705 Scheduled Tribes in India, 75 have been identified as PVTGs and are spread across 17 states and one Union Territory.
- Government of India follows the following criteria for identification of PVTGs
- Pre-agricultural level of technology
- Low level of literacy
- Economic backwardness
- A declining or stagnant population.