The World Health Organization (WHO) has launched the PRET initiative to be better prepared for future outbreaks of a similar scale and devastation as the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Preparedness and Resilience for Emerging Threats (PRET) Initiative is aimed at providing “guidance on integrated planning for responding to any respiratory pathogen such as influenza or coronaviruses”.
- It was announced at the Global Meeting for Future Respiratory Pathogen Pandemics held on 24-26 April 2023 in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The first module focuses on respiratory pathogens, including influenza, coronaviruses, and respiratory syncytial virus.
- It involves three-pronged approach which includes
- Update preparedness plans that affirm priority actionsand that have considered learnings from past events.
- Increase connectivity among stakeholders in pandemic preparedness planning through systematic coordination and cooperation.
- This includes building equitable systems; conducting joint exercises; and sharing information on good practices, challenges, and opportunities.
- Dedicate sustained investments, financing and monitoring of pandemic preparednesswith a particular focus on addressing the gaps identified during past pandemics and epidemics.