Cultural Heritage Of India:
Minister of Culture and Tourism informed Parliament about the Measures taken by the Government to preserving and promoting the traditional cultural heritage of India.
- The Ministry of Culture formulated a scheme titled “Scheme for Safeguarding the Intangible Heritage and Diverse Cultural Traditions of India”, with the objective of promoting the rich Intangible Cultural Heritage of India.
- India has successfully inscribed 13 Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) elements in the UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity under the 2003 Convention.
- As the first step towards the making of a National Inventory of ICH, the Ministry of Culture (MoC) has put up a list in April 2020 on its website called “National list for ICH”.
- The National list of Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) of India is an attempt to recognize the diversity of Indian Culture embedded in its Intangible Heritage.
- Following UNESCO’s 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, this list has been classified into five broad domains in which Intangible Cultural Heritage is manifested:
- Oral traditions and expressions, including language as a vehicle of the Intangible Cultural Heritage
- Performing Arts
- Social practices, Rituals, and Festive events
- Knowledge and practices concerning Nature and the Universe
- Traditional Craftsmanship
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking