Scary Barbie : Recently Discovered Black Hole
Scientists named the recently discovered black hole “Scary Barbie,” after a beloved children’s character.
- Scary Barbie is a supermassive black hole that is devouring a star with a thousand times the brightness of a supernova.
- It was first observed in 2020 and named ZTF20abrbeie.
- It is one of the most luminous, energetic, long-lasting transient objects in the sky.
- It is also extremely far away and in a somewhat neglected corner of the sky.
- The researchers discovered it using an AI engine called REFITT (Recommender Engine
For Intelligent Transient Tracking).
- The AI engine looks through observations from many different telescopes around the World.