Second Ananda Coomaraswamy Memorial Lecture:
The Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) organized the Second Ananda Coomaraswamy Memorial Lecture on October 6, 2023.
- The lecture was held to commemorate the 76th Death Anniversary of A.K. Coomaraswamy, a pioneering art historian of the 20th century.
- The topic of the lecture was “Towards Decolonizing Indian Art History via the Problem of Mimesis in the Citrasutra.”
- A.K. Coomaraswamy was a renowned art historian known for his intellectual eloquence and advocacy for the indigenous roots of Indian art.
- His work remains influential and inspiring across various fields of study.
- IGNCA acquired Coomaraswamy’s collection of books, art objects, paintings, photographs, and correspondences in 2008.
- The lecture aims to acknowledge A.K. Coomaraswamy’s significant contributions to the field of art and culture.
- It focuses on the theme of decolonizing Indian art history and revisiting the theory of performative mimesis (anukarana vada) in Indian aesthetics.