Driverless Train Operations (DTO):
Union Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs alongwith Transport Minister for the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi virtually inaugurated the Unattended Train Operations (UTO) on the Pink Line of the Delhi Metro.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the first driverless train operations of the Delhi Metro in December 2020, when he flagged off the Magenta Line’s driverless operations.
- Driverless Train Operations (DTO) has been launched on the 59 kilometre long Pink Line (Majlis Park to Shiv Vihar) of Delhi Metro.
- With this, the Delhi Metro’s fully automated network will grow to about 97 kilometres, which is 4th largest in the world and the only DTO network in India.
- The DTO facility was launched on the Magenta Line in 2020 with which the Delhi Metro had entered the elite league of world’s 7% Metros in the world which operate fully automated metro networks.
- The Driverless Train Operation will bring more flexibility in train operations, reduce human interventions and human errors.
- It will also help in improving the availability of coaches for service.
- The Driverless Trains will eliminate the manual process of checking done before induction, subsequently reducing burden on train operators.
- The parking on stabling line in depots will also be done automatically.