The recent food poisoning event in Kerala that claimed the life of a 16-year-old girl who ate chicken shawarma at a restaurant was caused by Shigella germs.
- Shigella is a bacterial infection produced by the enterobacter family of bacteria and is one of the most common causes of diarrhoea worldwide.
- Shigellosis is the infection it causes.
- Infection with Shigella causes diarrhoea (occasionally bloody), fever, and stomach cramps in the majority of patients.
- The disease is easily transmitted through direct or indirect contact with the patient’s waste.
- Antibiotics should be provided to people who are sick or have underlying problems.