Smart Corn : New Genetically Modified (GMO) Corn
A new genetically modified (GMO) corn called ‘smart corn’ has been developed by Bayer to withstand climate change pressures.
- Smart Corn GMO is a genetically modified corn varietal developed by Bayer. It grows shorter and sturdier than conventional corn to withstand high-wind storms caused by climate change.
- This adaptation aims to reduce damage to crops and address the challenges posed by climate-related events.
- Increased Resilience: Shorter, sturdier stalks make the corn more resistant to high-wind storms, reducing crop damage.
- Addressing Climate Pressures: Smart corn is designed to adapt to climate change-induced challenges, like extreme weather events.
- Innovative Solution: This shows the potential of genetic engineering to create crops that can better withstand climate impacts.
Genetically Modified Organism:
- GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism.
- It refers to an organism, typically a plant or animal, whose genetic material has been altered through genetic engineering techniques.
- This involves the insertion of genes from one species into the DNA of another to introduce specific traits or characteristics.