Social Progress Index 2022:
The Social Progress Index (SPI) for States and Districts of India was released by the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM).
- The SPI was compiled by the Institute for Competitiveness and Social Progress Imperative.
- The report also dwells on India’s performance (ranked 110 out of 169 nations) based on the global SPI 2022 that is brought out by Social Progress Imperative since 2013.
- It is an independent body constituted to give advice on economic and related issues to the Prime Minister.
- EAC-PM is responsible for analysing and advising the Prime Minister on any issue of macroeconomic importance that the Prime Minister refers to.
Findings of the Index:
- Highest SPI Score: Puducherry
- Lowest SPI Score: Jharkhand and Bihar
- Basic Human Needs: Goa, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, and Chandigarh are the top four states with the best performance in water, sanitation and shelter.
- Foundations of Wellbeing: Mizoram, Himachal Pradesh, Ladakh, and Goa have emerged as the best-performing states for the Foundations of Wellbeing.
- For Environmental Quality, Mizoram, Nagaland, and Meghalaya are the top three states.
- Opportunity: Tamil Nadu has achieved the highest component score for Opportunity dimension.
- Top Best Performing Districts: Aizawl (Mizoram), Solan (Himachal Pradesh) and Shimla (Himachal Pradesh) have emerged as the top three best-performing districts.