State Of Food And Agriculture Report 2022 : FAO
The recently released FAO’S State of Food and Agriculture report 2022 looked at how agricultural automation in our agri-food systems can contribute to achieving sustainable development goals.
Highlights of the report:
- Agricultural automation plays an important role in making food production more efficient and environmentally friendly.
- However, it can also deepen inequalities if it remains inaccessible to small-scale producers and other marginalised groups.
- Agricultural automation can lead to unemployment in places where rural labour is abundant and wages are low.
- There are wide disparities in the spread of automation between and within countries, with adoption being particularly limited in sub-Saharan Africa.
- For example, Japan had more than 400 tractors per 1,000 hectares of arable land, compared with just 0.4 in Ghana in 2005.