Sub-Mission On Agricultural Mechanization (SMAM) Scheme:
The Government of India has released funds for various activities of Farm Mechanization under the Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanization (SMAM) scheme.
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare launched SMAM in 2014-15.
- Under it, the subsidy is provided for the purchase of various types of agricultural equipment and machinery to the extent of 40-50% for States other than NER (North Eastern Region) States and for the NER States, it is 100% limited to Rs.1.25 lakhs per beneficiary.
- The agriculture ministry has also developed a Multilingual Mobile App, ‘CHC (Custom Hiring Centres)- Farm Machinery’ which connects farmers with Custom Hiring Service Centres situated in their locality.
- Aim: Increasing the reach of farm mechanization to small and marginal farmers and to the regions and difficult areas where farm power availability is low.
- Promoting ‘Custom Hiring Centres’ and ‘Hi-tech Hubs of High-Value Machines’ to offset the adverse economies of scale arising due to small and fragmented landholding and the high cost of individual ownership.
- Creating awareness among stakeholders through demonstration and capacity building activities.
- Ensuring performance testing and certification of agricultural machines at designated testing centres located all over the country.