The Global Food Policy Report 2021:
The Global Food Policy Report is published by the International Food Policy Research Institute. This year the institute has released the report based on the theme “Transforming Food Systems After COVID-19”.
- The midday meal program of India that covers 80% of primary school age children in the country was affected due to the COVID-19 lockdown.
- The school closures are likely to exacerbate nutrition and food insecurity in the country especially in girls and disadvantaged populations.
- 50% of households in India reported that women spent more time fetching firewood and water in comparison with the previous year.
- Efforts of India to incorporate migrant workers into social protection programs were a huge success.
- Around 80 million hectares of land in India have been classified as commons.
- This included forests, water bodies, and pastures.
- The Commons provides a source of livelihood for more than 350 million people in the country. They are dependent on these areas for their forest products and fodder.