Typbar Typhoid Vaccine:
Phase-3 trial conducted in Malawi, Africa, a region endemic for typhoid fever, has demonstrated the long-term efficacy of Bharat Biotech’s Typhoid conjugate vaccine (TCV), Typbar.
- Typbar TCV is the world’s first clinically proven conjugate Typhoid vaccine.
- Typhoid fever is a life-threatening infection caused by the bacterium Salmonella Typhi.
- It is usually spread through contaminated food or water.
- It is transmitted by the faecal-oral route, through ingestion of contaminated food or water.
- Once the bacteria is ingested, it multiplies and spreads into the bloodstream.
- Urbanisation and climate change have the potential to increase the global burden of typhoid
- It encompasses fever, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, headache, and occasionally a rash.
- Severe cases can result in complications or death, confirmed through blood testing.
- Risk Factor and Disease Burden: In 2019, there were an estimated 9.24 million typhoid cases and 1,10,000 deaths across the world.
- It remains a significant health issue, particularly in developing regions.
- The majority of the typhoid cases and deaths in 2019 occurred in South-East Asia and Africa.
- Antibiotics are the mainstay of treatment, but increasing resistance to antibiotic treatment is making it easier for typhoid to spread in communities that lack access to safe drinking water or adequate sanitation.