Vadhvan Port : Initiated Process For Construction
The Vadhavan Port Project Ltd. (VPPL) has initiated the process for construction of the ₹76,220 crore port and public hearings are likely to begin in the next few months.
- Vadhavan Port is a proposed Rs 75,000 crore container port project at Vadhavan in Maharashtra.
- The port will be developed as a joint venture by the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA) and the Maharashtra Maritime Board (MMB).
- The new port has a natural draft of about 20 metres close to the shore, making it possible for it to handle bigger vessels.
- It will enable the call of container vessels of 16,000- 25,000 TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units) capacity, giving advantages of economies of scale and reducing logistics cost.
- It will be designed to handle around 254 million tonnes (MT) of cargo.
- It will be developed as a Green Port. It is planning to provide green fuel to ships coming to the port, and the construction and operations are planned to keep in mind the environmental issues.