Visva Bharati University:
The Calcutta High Court granted interim relief to Nobel laureate Amartya Sen recently by prohibiting Visva Bharati University from acting on its decision asking him to relinquish a portion of his land at his property at Shantiniketan.
- Viswa Bharati University is one of India’s major Central Government funded autonomous Universitylocated in Santiniketan, West Bengal.
- It is well-known as a distinguished centre for Visual Arts practice and research in India.
- The University was established in 1921 by Nobel Prize Laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
- It was named after Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore until the Visva-Bharati Society was registered as an organisation in May 1922.
- The institution was given the status of a Central University in 1951 through a central Act.
- Its first vice-chancellor was Rathindranath Tagore, the son of Rabindranath Tagore, and the second vice-chancellor was the grandfather of another Nobel Laureate economist Amartya Sen.
- The President of India appoints the Vice-chancellor of the University.
- Visva Bharati University is renowned for its cultural festivals called Poush Mela and the Basanta Utsab, which attract a number of artisans from all across the country.