What Is Leopard 2 tank?
Germany is under pressure to authorize sending Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine from other European nations.
- The Leopard 2 is one of the world’s leading battle tanks.
- Until now, both Ukraine and Russia have used Soviet-era tanks in battle, and the Leopards would offer a big step forward in capability.
- The Leopard 2 is one of the world’s leading battle tanks, used by the German Army for decades and by the militaries of more than a dozen other European nations, as well as by the armies of countries as far apart as Canada and Indonesia.
- It has seen service in conflict zones of Afghanistan, Kosovo, and Syria.
- The tank, which is powered by a diesel engine, features night-vision equipment and a laser range finder that can measure the distance to an object, enabling it to better aim at a moving target while travelling over rough terrain.