Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR) technology:
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully conducted the test of the Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR) technology, which is crucial for the indigenous development of long range air-to-air missiles.
Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR) Technology:
- SFDR technology is a missile propulsion system based on the concept of the Ramjet Engine principle.
- The system utilizes a solid fuelled air-breathing ramjet engine.
- Unlike solid-propellant rockets, the Ramjet takes up oxygen from the atmosphere during flight.
- Thus, it is light in weight and can carry more fuel.
- DRDO began developing SFDR first in 2017 and had conducted successful tests in 2018 and 2019 as well.